Hobart Welding School also known as HIWT (Hobart Institute of Welding Technology) is a top class, quality-welding school. This welding school began as a department of the Hobart Brothers Company in 1930 and within ten years that is in 1940, the school became known as Hobart Trade School, a 501(c) 3 nonprofit corporation, administered by a board of directors.
When the demand for trained welders grew, as in World War II production in factories, Hobart School trained tens of hundreds people in welding and allied works. With further expansion in facilities and the success of the welding training programs, Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools gave its approval in 1970 and in December of the same year the name was changed to, Hobart School of Welding Technology. Subsequently, in 1972 the Hobart Institute got accreditation from the National Association of Trade & Technical Schools.
In 1977, Hobart School of Welding Technology became a supporting member of the American Welding Society. School became Institute that is the name was changed to Hobart Institute of Welding Technology in 1991 to reflect the core functions. The institute works with enhanced technology and has state-of-the art facilities.
Institute has trained more than 100,000 men and women, not on fresh graduates out of high school but also employees of Fortune 500 companies.
Hobart Institute offers the following training and certification courses
• Skills Training Programs and Courses
• Technical Training
• Online Courses
They also provide mandatory re-training and re-certification courses and certifications for the Industry.
Descriptions of various courses in a little more detail is given below.
Skill Training Programs
There are two programs for entry-level students viz.
• Combination Structural & Pipe Welding: This course is for the student interested in the major welding processes. Completion of this course successfully, will equip student with necessary welding skills, safety and technical information required for entry level employment as a Combination Welder.
• Structural Welding. This course is for the student interested in for all position welding skills on plate, safety and technical information. Completion of this course successfully, will equip the student with entry level fabrication work, construction work, job shops and other entry level related jobs.
These are long-term courses spanning 36 weeks (1260 Hours) and 21 weeks (735 Hours) respectively.
Skill Training Courses
Hobart School of Welding Technology also offers short duration courses, varying from 2 to 4 weeks.
The courses include
- Oxyacetylene Welding & Cutting,
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding with all the specializations like pressure vessel and nuclear piping fields,
- Welding Technology & Blueprint Reading,
- Flux Cored Arc Welding ,
- Pipe Layout For Fitters & Welders the ability to fit and weld the piping and
- All the specializations of Gas Tungsten Arc Welding like mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum used in the aircraft and missile industry.
For Welding support and allied groups’, Hobart Institute of Welding Technology conducts courses for Technical training.
They are Inspection courses or preparation for various examinations or even the welding courses for the Non-Welders. These courses are for duration less than a week.
Welder Certification and Qualification
The Hobart Institute of Welding Technology has the knowledge base to certify and qualify welders and welding procedures to structural, pressure piping, production, and aerospace specifications.
Services for Industry
To fulfill employment criteria in welding related professions, companies and institutes need their employees to get certification from relevant authorities. Hobart Institute of Welding Technology conducts various courses to help prepare these candidates.
The certification is required for Welding Inspector/ Educator/ Supervisor and other specialized professions.
Online Courses, which are offered by the institute, are out of accredited scope, but meet the requirements of American Welding Society QC1 and can be utilized for re-certification for personnel of companies and institutes for Inspection and Testing Methods.
Support to Students
The Hobart Institute of Welding Technology helps International students with proper documentation and also provide employment assistance at the completion of program.
Special emphasis on Safety and Security: Hobart Institute lays emphasis on security vis-à-vis personal safety of students and personnel of the Institute and also on the safety of workers from potential safety and health problems associated with welding, cutting, and allied processes.
Why Hobart Institute
- Being in this field of welding technology for more than eighty years, and with use of enhanced technologies and state of art facilities, Hobart Institute of Welding Technology is at the forefront of providing best training in this field. Be it entry level skill courses and programs or the refresher courses at various points of one’s career or the certification courses for fulfilling employment requirements, Hobart Institute is one stop for all educational requirements in the field of Welding Technology.
- A lot of time and effort is spent in constructing the courses to make them relevant to the industry and make the students able candidates for job markets.
- The faculty instructors are well trained not only in the subject matter but also in presentation. Their knowledge is excellent and is comparable to the best in the world.
- The classroom sessions are direct and relevant to the needs of the industry and the money spent on courses certainly will make you say, “Value for Money”.